Wednesday, December 9, 2009

OTB

Off the bike.  It is good and it is bad.  It's been over three weeks since I've rolled.  Two weeks was good, three weeks is not good. Time to do whatever it takes to  get out there.  Get out on the frozen tundra, clean out the pipes.  It's been so god damned cold everything in the garage is frozen solid.

My last attempt at getting the CX rig running was the night before States when I had the garden hose in the shower...  No it's not what you think; the thing was iced up solid and my bike was caked in dried mud from the last Green Mountain CX mudfest.  Eventually I got the thing thawed out and was able to spray down the bike, leaving a brown stain on the otherwise white blanket of snow in the backyard.  Our babysitter was intrigued, I tried to explain but she didn't get it.

It's 22 degrees. I have to go pick up my daughter from school so I throw the bike into the garage. When we get back I go out to spray some lube on the chain and take a spin around the block to see how she's runnin'.  Frozen solid.  Drops of water from the spray down are suspended from the top tube.  Done.

That was a week ago.  Time to get back out and fly with the birds.

4 comments:

  1. i'd like this story better if you sprayed down the bike in the shower. then maybe throw in the babysitter.... and the cat if you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't fit the bike in the shower and I'm already in the dog house with the wife. Don't think she would appreciate me scrubbing down the babysitter, although she needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good times! I think mud on a bike preserves it in its natural state, similar to a frozen caveman.

    Thanks to you and mtn flyer mag for the coverage of the races this year - good stuff.

    Clay Harris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clay, thanks for checking in here and at Mt. Flyer! Had a blast racing with you guys this fall.

    My bike is now thawed but still untouched. Way past time to get back on it. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete