Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Let's Race Bikes



Guess I'll get right into the racing as it has been a passion of mine for over twenty years. Last weekend was a two day suffer-fest. Both courses were rugged. Fair amount of climbing for CX courses as I gather, this being my first season of cross and all. Got relegated to the back of the pack at Valmont due to some non-ACA call-up procedures introduced by Bobby Noyes in which he called up all those who helped out with the park. Hell yeah, they deserved it, I hadn't contributed to the cause, and what a beautiful cause, thanks Bobby and all.

So I'm sucking dust in 30th or so up the first climb, maxing out to get up to where I want to be. First two laps are hectic with the dust and the close quarters. Eventually it opens up and I work my way through a group of 5 or 6 riders into 14th or so. One more guy up ahead and then a gap that's gotta lead to the top ten. I've got the patience of a monkey so I try to pass on the inside of the loosest corner on the course. Front wheel washes out and I take the other guy down with me. "Sorry dude, that was lame." is all I can say. 7 or 8 pass me as I straighten my bars. I'm back on, but my shifting is screwed, and I start to cramp soon after. Damage control to the finish line.

Sunday in Golden goes better. Called up but still let 10 guys slide by on the hole shot. Work up to 15th or so and get in the groove. Killer course with lots of bike handling involved. Stay smooth, ride clean. Finish just out of top 10. Work to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment