Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Webbenator

One of the great things about coming back to Colorado and getting back on two wheels is running into old friends. One such friend is someone I met while racing for Trek during the 1993 season. It was a big team with folks from both coasts and few of us from CO.  Among those from the East, was a quiet and reserved kid from Sugarloaf Maine; Pete Webber.

Pete was totally Pro.  He was 100% into being a bike racer.  I was a bit more into getting done with the racing in Georgia or Indiana or New York, and getting back to the Butte to ride the goods. So we traveled, ate, raced, and roomed together for a few nationals.  I guess he thought I was an OK guy because he ended up coming out to Crested Butte and staying with us for part of the season.  When I told him, "sure you can stay with us!" I'm not sure he knew he would be staying in a 600 sq ft box where the bathroom may as well as not have had a door.

Pete stayed for a while, but when his girlfriend Sally arrived, she was having none of that and they moved on to more spacious accomodations.  I don't blame her.  Anyways, myself, Riepe, Patrick Myall, and Stubbe, got to give Pete a good sampling of the local single track.  I believe it may have been his first taste of true Colorado goodness.  I hope he enjoyed it. As anyone who knows Pete will attest, he is truly a good person and I won't forget our season with Trek and the laughs we all had.

A recent post by Keller actually sparked this rumination.  I remember when that Fisher ad came out.  I must say I was pretty surprised.  Although it had only been a few years, Pete was obviously coming out of his shell.  What were they feeding him over there at Fisher?

Ride on Pete....

No comments:

Post a Comment